Friday, November 25, 2011

I got busted!

BUSTED!!

Well, I had my official welcome back to Hollywood earlier this evening by my brothers in blue, the poo-lice of Hollywood.

There I was cruising down the Hollywood boardwalk on my SEGWAY, earplugs blasting appropriate rock and blues from the iPod, weaving around the old folks in the bike lane, and heading to one of my favorite haunts, when out of the corner of my eye I notice an ATV, blue lights blazing, and what appeared to me to be two rather angry officers waving frantically for me to stop and pull over!  WTF?

Since I couldn't hear a word they were shouting (reference the earplugs above), I figured the best course of action was to stop and dismount before I got "tased" (a rather distinct possibility since you'll remember this is Hollywood, right?).

Soooooo....there I am, getting shouted out by some brother officer, trying to get my helmet off and my earplugs out, and wondering what the heck he's so upset about.

Turns out he and his partner, had seen me "blow by like you were being chased by devils".  (you can't make up a quote like that, trust me)  Apparently they had blown whistles to get my attention, and were more then a little annoyed that I cruised right on by without acknowledging their power and authority. They had been "chasing me" for five blocks - I guess the sand slowed them down a mite.

Come on, really?  One thing led to another, we got into an entire conversation about the Americans with Disabilities Act ( a Federal Statue), City of Hollywood ordinances (which apparently over-ride the Federal Law in their view) prohibiting SEGWAY's on the boardwalk, and ignoring an Officer while in the performance of their duties. . .god save me.  At one point, my brother threatened to call his Sergeant to explain how my bad behavior just wasn't going to be tolerated.   Yep, I'm scared.

In the end, ole "Bill" (name changed to protect the innocent), and his partner and I came to the conclusion that we would all just overlook the whole incident without getting his Sergeant, the Hollywood City Council, my Congressman, or whoever oversees the ADA statues, involved in our little discussion.  

Good choice my new friend.

Our compromise, and yes, for those of you who don't think I'm capable of such an act, I can; was for me to ride one street over from the boardwalk, and when coming out to one of the bars, go s-l-o-w-l-y to avoid running over innocent civilians (I.e. Tourists).

After about 30 minutes of this amazing and bizarre conversation, I jumped back on, plugged in, and zoomed into the night.

Not exactly the warm welcome I expected upon my return to the beach.

I wonder if I have time in my busy retirement schedule to attend any of the upcoming City Council meetings and ask for clarification on this subject?

Anyone have an opinion?

No comments:

Post a Comment