Monday, November 28, 2011

Pig Headed? Me?

Some of you that know me well may describe me as sometimes pig-headed.  Personally, I like to think that I'm simply dedicated to what I think is right and wrong, and admittedly, I oftentimes don't bow to the political wind.              Tenacious perhaps?

After listening to feedback about my SEGWAY incident, my intimate encounter with my brothers in blue Friday night, and having come to the conclusion to completely and utterly ignore my older and wiser friend Jim's advice to "just let it go" I decided to research a little of the Federal and local ordinances on the subject. 

Is anyone really surprised?

Fascinating how, when you retire, you suddenly have idle time on your hands that can be put to other uses.  Like annoying your elected officials.

I started by looking at the Americans with Disability Act (ADA), and sure enough, there it was in black and white.  The law not only went into effect during the earlier part of this year, but specifically names the SEGWAY product by name in the law as an alternative mobility device covered under the law.                         Oh my!

Having established this little tidbit of information, I then used the handy contact number listed on the website to contact the Department of Justice, Enforcement Branch, to seek clarification on enforcement of the statue.   My, what an interesting conversation.  The short of it was that yup, the law is in effect, and the City can scream and shout, but the use of a SEGWAY is a Federal issue, not a local one, and banning use would be a violation of the ADA.   I loved the part when the guy asked me if I wanted him to send me the formal filing paperwork to begin a Federal complaint?                         

Nope, thanks, but no thanks.

I then used a little more time to track down the guy who owns the SEGWAY rental and tour operation on Hollywood Beach (where, unknown to me at the time, it is located right where I was stopped the other night). At first I think he was a little put out that I had tracked down his cell phone and caught him working out at the gym, but once I explained what I was researching he perked right up.  It turns out he had had a two year battle with the city over his operation on the boardwalk and had to jump though all kinds of permits, insurance, and changes in city ordinances to start his operation.

Yet, the key to our conversation was an item of information that was a jewel!  He asked me if I knew the Mayor of our fine city, or if I had talked to anyone at City Hall yet?  I had to admit that I had not worked up to it, yet.  Then he dropped the bomb shell.  It turns out that our fine Mayor, running for re-election during the last cycle, had made his way through all the districts and regions, using none other than a SEGWAY as his primary means of transportation.                              Oh, sweeeeeeeeeet.

He provided me with the Mayors cell number, and the name and cell number of his administrative assistant and suggested I call.          Who am I to say no to that?

I contacted the Mayors assistant first - why waste all your ammo at once eh? - and explained what had transpired and asked what can I do to make sure I didn't have any additional problems if I was out riding in the future?  She assured me that there was NO city code denying access for use of the Segway, and asked if she could call the Chief of Police office to make sure they understood - she would be happy to call me back.            Sure, I'm fine with that.   :-))

And so it goes....  Not only did she call me back to confirm that the Chief, and all his Officers, understand the ADA, but one of the Chief's assistants called me to explain that he would be happy to be a POC (and provided his cell number) if such an event happened in the future.      Oh my Oh my.

Earlier this evening, while dining with some friends, I also received a phone call from the councilman of the District where I live.  It seems the Mayors office had called him to explain my issues, and he wanted to "just touch base" to make sure everything was resolved.      Gotta love voice mail.   I'll call him back tomorrow.

I love it when we all come together in peace and harmony.       BUT, I'm still saving the Mayors cell number in my phone if I need it.


With apologies to my wise and dear friend Jim all I can say is;

Pig-headed?   Nope, just satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment