Saturday, December 3, 2011

I'm trying to improve. Really!

It’s been an unusual week for me. But then, I guess there is really nothing unusual about hearing that is there?

During my travels in the last few days I ran into one couple I had not seen in a few years. We were very close at one point in our lives and it was nice to see them. The wife, at some point during our conversation, decided to offer me some advice that I have since found to be very helpful. I wanted to share this with everyone.

You see, her opinion is that I have changed far too much since the last time we were all gathered together and that she is worried that I’m beginning to lose my ability to "socially interact properly with people". Wow. So I asked the obvious question; "what would you suggest?"

While her husband rolled his eyes in the background, she recommended that I get out more, mingle with people, and go out to functions like party’s or public places. She also suggested that I visit historically significant places (she knows I have an interest in History), take pictures, visit with the other guests in those locales, and perhaps pickup souvenirs to take home as a reminder of the visit. Hmmmmmmm. . . Maybe she’s on to something here. Do I see snow-globes and tiny cups or spoons in my future? Ah, nope ….

Later that evening when I returned to my hotel, my initial thought was to simply pull off this darn suit from the funerals and "veg" in front of the cable with a room service pizza and some quiet reflection time. But, the more I thought about her comments, the more positive I became about making change in my life. I decided to act right that very evening by going somewhere significant, perhaps even somewhere that had a historically rich background and where I might have an opportunity to work on my apparently lacking social skills. I have to admit it would be nice to mix with people….at least, every once in a while.

I think I found it. I had forgotten about this little establishment that sits on a main drag in the local area, has a rich history in the local culture, and provides a relaxed environment that promotes verbal intercourse among the guests. I think this place must be an example of what she was thinking when she talked to me earlier. I have to admit that after several hours of soaking in the atmosphere and visually stimulating surroundings, I felt much better. Maybe you’ll recognize this landmark?






==========================

After a restful night’s sleep, it was time to get back on the road. I was feeling very energetic about the previous night’s experience and promised myself that I would try to take every opportunity to better myself from now on. I’m turning over a new leaf as it were.

Later that day, while making my way on some back road to nowhere special (you know about those, right?), I found a little roadside sign advertising a "once-in-a-lifetime" firearm sale and demonstration. Frankly, it was the hand-painted little addition next to it that said "Santa’s Visiting Today!" that made me stop. I mean, if Santa is going to be there, this has GOT to be a place I want to be meeting and socializing with people. Guns & Santa, does it get any better then that?

I wandered around for hours in the endless tables of guns, knives, and knick-knacks. The whole thing was set up in a series of open fields with a ready made gun range laid out, and more guns and rednecks in one place then I’ve seen in a long long time. Santa arrived on a tractor. Which struck me as appropriate given the target audience.

I must admit a certain amount of failure however, because no matter how much I tried, I think just about everyone (3-400 people?) must have known I was an outsider. I drank my beer and ate my hot dog in solitude on a stump in the tree line. How’s that for original?

It wasn’t a complete loss though. I bought a souvenir T-shirt (see below) to mark my attendance at the event and I will, of course, wear it when and if I return to Hollywood. I’m sure it’s going to be the envy of everyone on the boardwalk – I know it will stimulate conversation and open up all kinds of possibilities for me to work on my social interactive skill set.









I’m going to send a note to my friend just as soon as I’m finished here. I know she’ll be proud to know that she’s had such a positive impact on me in such as short period of time. I feel more socially adept now that I’m giving it a chance!

I’ll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment