Tuesday, December 20, 2011

I guess the denial stage is over

It had to happen sooner or later.

I was out running errands and stopped to make a quick purchase for the Hula Hut. Nothing out of the ordinary, just the usual day of little things to check off the list of items to buy when and if they ever came on sale.

I found the item buried on a shelf behind some other things and made my way to the cashier. I was one happy camper as I made my way to the front of the store despite knowing that I would be standing in a line of Christmas shoppers. Did I mention I hate shopping?

But eventually my turn came, and as I was reaching for my wallet those dreaded words I’ve been avoiding were finally uttered in my presence.

"Thank you, sir, with your senior discount the amount is . . . "

Ah crap.

I guess my denial stage has come to an end.

For years I’ve been getting those unsolicited AARP mailings welcoming me to the "senior" world and offering all kinds of incentives to buy insurance, take advantage of cruise travel, retirement advice, and reverse mortgages. Until today I had convinced myself that they had been meant for someone named "occupant" and had come to me by mistake.

Not anymore.

The truth is that that senior discount actually saved me a few bucks (on top of the 40% off sale price) and I didn’t notice anyone standing around giggling and pointing in my direction like they were making fun of the old man holding up the line. I mean, I wasn’t wearing sandals and black socks or anything else that could have given me away. Perhaps its all the experience etched upon my face?             Who knew?

Personally, I would have liked staying in my state of denial for a few more years and pretending that all that mail, and the other things that come along with the senior label, be put on a shelf somewhere until I was better able to deal with it. But the sad reality is that I should be grateful that I’ve lived this long and take the few things that are offered with some grace.                     OK, I’ll give it a try.

Now, if I can just find a woman who thinks she’s part of the Disney Family I’ll be a really happy camper. You know: someone who charges a flat-rate senior discount for multiple rides and unlimited entries.

For years I’ve been looking for that membership offer to show up in my mail.

1 comment:

  1. I keep throwing them away as well. I have noticed that I'm now invisible to 20 year old girls though : (

    ReplyDelete