Monday, June 25, 2012

Asheville & Spartanburg


I had family in Asheville once upon a time and have spent considerable amount of time in and around the mountains there.  Yet, each time I return I am reminded anew how much there is left to see.  On this trip, I spent some time in quite reflection at the graveside of my relatives before setting off.  I found it strangely comforting.

The ride to Mt Mitchell, highest point east of the Mississippi, was incredible.  Although the temperature was a moderate 74 degrees in Asheville, the further I climbed up the Blue Ridge trail to the mountaintop the more fog, rain, and drop in temperature.  By the time I reached the parking lot on the top, than rode the Segway up to the top of the overlook, the temp had dropped to 51 degrees.  Doesn't matter; the 360 degree view was worth the effort.

I have to add a note about the following.  This is the first time I can recall that I've not been on 2 wheels while on the parkway.  I miss not having the bike on this trip, and the Segway, although a great alternative to walking just doesn't cut it on something like that for obvious reasons.  Yet, my little Mini Cooper Turbo 6 speed, gave me enough thrills with its low stance, awesome cornering, and mountain climbing boost, that it was almost, almost, as good as being on two wheels.  :-)  I hate to admit, I might have been just a tab above the posted speed limit of 45 MPH on occasion.

Spartanburg is home to my OIF buddy Donovan, and his wife, Cassandra, and the kids.  We haven't seen each other since early 2007 and it was incredible to take the time to get caught up and find out how each other has been coping with this "after-the-Army" retirement gig.  He and the family look great!  I missed seeing his Mom, but I hear she's doing well.


Just one of the many views along the Blue Ridge Parkway on the way to Mount Mitchell.



Foggy & chilly, but enjoyable indeed!



My brother from another mother...Donovan looks great!


One of my neighbors at the RV park caught me in an unguarded moment one morning..killing time.

No comments:

Post a Comment