Monday, June 25, 2012

Iowa - who knew?

OK, I admit, I've been poking around, not getting anywhere fast, and just kind of enjoying not having an agenda.

With lots of time on my hands I've spent some time trolling the net looking for various things to explore or keep me busy.  (Idle hands and all that)

One of my favorite haunts on the net has turned out to be the Roadside America website.  It's full of fun and unusal places to visit. http://www.roadsideamerica.com/

That said, while I was traveling between Elkhart and Iowa I decided to stop and visit the site of Captain James T Kirk's (future) birthplace in Riverside, Iowa.   Who knew?

My timing kind of sucked, because the entire town is shut down in prepartion for this weekend (the last Saturday of each June) TrekFest.  Apparently the entire town is run amok with people in all kinds of Star Trek regalia.

So, my entire trip took 20 minutes, three photo's, and back on the road.

Perhaps the next stop will bear more fruit?


Main street in Riverside...quite the hopping place!


I tried to get close enough to get me, Bandersnatch, and the Segway into the photo...alas, there were workman everywhere prepping the place for the weekend.  No one was willing to help out a traveler in real need of some entertainment!

No comments:

Post a Comment