Monday, June 25, 2012

Elkhart Indiana


One of the driving forces for route planning during the initial phase of this trip was knowing that I had to take the Hula Hut back to where she had been born for some needed factory repairs.  I had no idea where Elkhart, Indiana was located, much less anything about the place.  After being there a week, exploring everyday for 6-9 hours (while the Hut was inside the shop), gave me an opportunity to get a new view on all things "Yankee" and a better appreciation for my neighbors to the North.

I admit, I really enjoyed the time. 

A rare opportunity presented itself while I was visiting the area.  One of the other survivors of our Iraq suicide bombing incident lives very close by Elkhart.  In addition to my previous visit with Donovan, I knew in my heart I wanted to visit with my friend, Rebecca Payne, to see how she was doing, and get caught up since last we had last seen each other (like Donovan, we hadnt seen each other since being at Walter Reed in early 2006) in Washington.  Our visit was emotional, yet we enjoyed every single minute of it.

Also within driving distance was an aviation museum called "Air Zoo" in Kalamazoo, Michigan, who my friend, Crissie Murphy (http://www.cmurphydesign.com/) recently told me about, and an added bonus was the fact that she has award winning aviation related art work displayed there, and further, that it was within 40 minutes drive time. The decision to visit was a no brainer.   (http://www.airzoo.org/)

The museum is smaller of course than Wright Patterson, but the same level of dedication and courtesy of the staff was impressive.  Upon my arrival I had asked where I could find the art work, and not only did the volunteer know exactly where the two pieces where located, but walked with me to make sure I found them.  Along the way, winding our way through aircraft of all shapes and sizes, I got a running commentary on the history of aircraft, the people behind them, and the back story on the museum and the work that they do within the community.

Because I was once again on the Segway, I got a lot of questions relating to these ease of use, cost, and what, if any, limitations they may have.  Interestingly, the manager approached about 1/2 way through my tour and asked if there was a Segway convention in town.  When I told her no and asked why the question, she informed me that mine was the second one in two days that had come into the museum for the tour.  (I guess I'll just have to settle for being number 2 this time!).

She did however, arrange for me to go to another building that was the original museum building, and where they do the extensive restoration work on aircraft, for a behind the ropes guided tour.  THAT part was simply breathtaking to experience.

Over the next few days I roamed all around the northern Indiana, southern Michigan area visiting little out of the way places.  Crissie again came up with a splendid suggestion for a car museum (website) and upon arrival; I found the place was hosting its annual tractor convention.  So in addition to seeing automobiles that would take hours to describe in artistic terms, I was entertained by tractors of all shapes, sizes, and colors.   As I said to a friend, I've never seen so many men in overalls gathered in one place in all my life!  (http://gilmorecarmuseum.org/)

I have another friend, Jim Wright, from down Texas way, who has an interest in trains, and all things related to trains.   I found out that Elkhart has a railroad museum and decided that I would swing by for a short visit, take some photos for Jim, and be on my way down the road to another location (the Super Hero's Museum of all things).  It didn't quite work out that way.

The museum itself sits on the edge of downtown, and at the head of a huge switching yard that is still active to this day.  It's quite impressive to a novice who knows little or nothing about these things, and I ended up wandering around for over 3 hours inside and outside the grounds, it was fascinating, educational, and well worth the time (website).

There is also the RV Museum in Elkhart (who knew?), but I have to admit I wasn't very turned on by the experience.  I'm in love with my Outlaw so why bother about all those thin skinned yesteryear models, eh?    My parking lot neighbors however, loved the place and went back three days in a row to make sure they didn't miss anything.  Yeah, well, theyre from Canada so I doubt they get out much!

Elkhart has some of the largest city parks I've seen in a long time.  They are literally everywhere you turn, with bike (Segway) trails, small streams and rivers, and paved and lighted pathways.  It was addictive and I rode a lot through various old town areas and downtown.

Once the Hula Hut was complete, I had planned to strike out for MN and WI but, with a last minute change of plans, I decided to spend the weekend in Elkhart to attend an annual Jazz Festival that was the talk of the town.  It was spectacular!  Open air Jazz on the city streets well into the night.  I even, much to my surprise, got up early on Sunday morning to attend a jazz themed church service on Main Street which I really enjoyed.  If church was like this when I was growing up I'd probably be more respectful.

The next few stops, now that the Hula Hut is sporting a new top and improved attitude, is westbound...Iowa City and Riverside, Iowa (the future birth site of James T Kirk), Des Moines (and a little place south of there, the birthplace of John Wayne), and to take part in the annual 4th of July celebration as only a small town can throw.



I'll add more as the story, and the journey, continues. . .


An example of Crissie's award winning work at the Air Zoo.



Least you forget, the Mini (Bandersnatch) and the (as yet unnamed) Segway are on vacation too.



Yes, I took advantage of the Segway and rode around the various buildings and grounds.

The colors and detail on some of these cars was breathtaking


One of my favorites!


Jim would be able to tell us what kind of locomotive this is...me?  I don't have a clue.



I did, occasionally, get caught up in rush hour traffic traveling through the back roads of Indiana.

Downtown Elkhart version of a traffic jam.


Elkhart's riverwalk


Sunday morning church service...jazz fest style!

No comments:

Post a Comment