Saturday, June 2, 2012


Phase one of the journey is almost over.  I'm wrapping up in Tampa and headed North on Sunday morning.  Next stop, Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah for an overnight stay, than arrive in Fayetteville on Monday for a week long stay.

The repairs to the Hula Hut were complete with no drama; the dash A/C simply needed a new temp control valve and it was done.  Sweet.

The Campground at MacDill was a little surprising.  This is the first time I've stayed at a military installation campground (although it won't be the last during this trip), and I have to say I was impressed with the cleanliness, the quiet, and the nice beach that was close to where I parked.  The rate wasn't bad either.  About 1/3 the cost for three nights what it usually cost me for one (1) night in a civilian campground.  Yeah, go figure.

On another positive note I ran into a bunch of people I did not expect to see who were in town for a Military Conference.  My old Sergeant Major was down from DC, and a whole bunch of SEALS, SF, and Ranger buddies were here taking part.  I walked into the conference center expecting to stay for just a few minutes and ended up there for 3 hours just getting caught up.  I'm so proud of having been a part of that group and it's comforting to know that the new generation of troops is continuing to support our Wounded, ill, and Injured Service Members.

The only (brief) downside to this phase of the trip was a day long storm yesterday which kind of put a damper on getting some of my local tasks out of the way.  In the end however, the sunset was well worth the wait and it's a fitting tribute to setting the tone for the rest of this journey.











I'm trying out a new motto - "no drama, take your time, and remember, it's not like you have a schedule to keep"



I'll keep you advised as I go on down the road!


No comments:

Post a Comment